Monday, November 1, 2021

Mammon

A Prayer to Mammon

"I bow down and worship, ready to serve--
You are all, what I live for. And even if
I see no soul staring at me from my
Mirrored eyes, I will see no evil
In anything you make me do. For the promise
Of cars and planes and vacations
To places I have never been, I will turn 
Myself into your supplicant, manipulate
Every man I can manage to your ends.
All means shall be open, as necessary--
Charm and meanness, truth and lies.
There is no meaning but what can be purchased
By you who rules all. I will sacrifice
Myself, my friends, my family--
My happiness and joy, the growth of my soul--
To making more of you, my god.
With you, I can purchase all I lost--
Let my anger flair at those who stand
Between me and having more of you.
Amen."

The Happy Man Speaks to Mammon

"You are a way, and not the end
To which we all must aim. Things
Will not bring me joy--only comforts
Of life, clothes, a belly full
Of good food--good things one can enjoy
With family, friends, and wife.
You are a means to physical comfort,
Experiences, a relaxing life,
To books and music, movies, plays, and art--
May I never forget that is all you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all constructive comments.