Monday, August 1, 2022

My I

When I says "My body" who is this "My"?
Am I not my body? Is it my "I"?
If it is not my body, can it die?

If it is not my body, how can I
Control my body, make it move and cry?
Could this separation be a true lie?

If I say that I know that I will die,
Do I mean this, my body, or my "My"?
Do thoughts such as these make you rage or cry?

We ask such thoughts, but then only get by
On the simplest thoughts, so why even try
To ask what happens when our deaths draw nigh?

This is what makes us ask the question 'Why?"
And no matter how hard, I cannot shy
From asking what or even who am I?

I am this I who I see--I am I--
I am this body, my body's my "My"--
My eye I see I see now is my I.

When I meditate on it, I see my
I looking down at my I, and my I
Looks at my I looking at me, my I.

And all of it, my "I"s, are my body,
And, as my body, change and let me be--
And, knowing this, now I know that I'm free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all constructive comments.