Monday, July 23, 2018

Hermes

Your reign is over, Dionysus. Man's
Descended into nihilism. Zeus
Lost his divine throne to you--time for you
To ceded so all the earth can grow and change,
Emerge into a brand new world and leap
To newer heights from off the mountain peaks
You raised, but which erode beneath man's feet
As your divine enthusiasm fades
Into mere relativity and art
Without a touch of beauty, social life
Dissolving--atomistic collectivism
Now breaking down society. A new
Enthusiasm must take hold so man
Can rise anew, refreshed, complexified
To brand new heights--I'll bring a new old art
And revolutionize their science, help them see
Just who they are, or who they were, and who
They're destined to be when they follow me.
You have grown old within the minds of men--
Your powers dim, you're left with drunkenness
And nothing else. I am rejuvenated,
A younger god, and if we fight, I'll win.
But if we fight, mankind will be brought low
Before I raise them up again. Resign
Yourself to this transition both our fates
Have brought us to. Please spare our love, mankind.
Please spare them a transition that's traumatic
And let them rather ease from god to god
By hearing what our prophets have to say.
Relinquish now your throne for all the love
You harbor for mankind. I wait, my king,
For your decision, praying it is wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all constructive comments.