Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Trees of Life

The neighbor to the right of me
Has hacked off all the limbs on all his trees –
He’s happy that he now is free
Of all the leafy mess in the Fall breeze.

He’s certain they will stand, so grand
Without their leafy crown blocking the sun,
Such stately trunks sprout from the land
Repeating unity that makes them one.

The neighbor to the left of me
Has hacked off all the roots on all his trees –
He’s happy now that he is free
Of his yard filled with woody, knobby knees.

He’s certain they will stand, so grand
Without their roots disturbing even one
Trimmed-equal leaf of grass, the land
Now smooth, still sheltered from the horrid sun.

My trees just grow delightfully,
Deep-diving roots and growing limbs, these trees
Disturb the ground and air, are free
In order and disorder to just please.

And so my trees bear fruit, a grand
Display of health and wealth. Not even one
Belonging to my neighbors stands. Their land
Is bare, their homes are crushed, their lives are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all constructive comments.