Thursday, February 23, 2012

In the Land of Butterflies

We search the desert sands 
for butterflies---the one 
which reflects the colors swirling 
within us, making us 
who we are. I think 
mine is small and blue--- 
it wants to be bigger, a beautiful blue 
and black bird-wing, wings 
almost a foot wide, impossible 
not to see, impossible 
 to ignore. 

How many caterpillars 
are out there, masquerading 
 as butterflies? Can't we see them 
for their false wings?

So I search these desert sands 
for other butterflies---butterflies 
with wings of gold, reflecting 
the sun so you cannot see them, 
mistake them 
for something other than butterflies--- 
until they take off, drifting 
light on the desert winds. Her shine 
makes her difficult to see, 
 difficult to obtain, 
though I must obtain her 
if my own butterfly is to expand 
into the blue and black bird-wing. 

 So I search, knowing I may instead--- 
certainly will in the end--- 
find a black-winged butterfly 
that will take me finally away 
to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all constructive comments.